Alumni/Student Mentoring Program
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Alumni mentoring provides the opportunity for Williamson students to gain invaluable skills from alumni, as they prepare for their future career. In turn, alumni have the opportunity to support Williamson students in a meaningful way while building their own network. The program offers a variety of opportunities for alumni and students to engage in mentoring events and initiatives.
- One-to-One Mentoring – Williamson alumni mentors will be paired with a student or students during this program to offer practical advice related to maximizing their Williamson education experience, navigating career paths, creating work/life balance and other related topics.
- Alumni/Student meetings will be scheduled 1-2 times per year.
- Sessions may be focused on a particular topic or skill like job interviewing or building resumes or may be an open discussion to meet the needs of the participating students.
- Alumni are encouraged to continue their communications with their student mentee throughout the school year.
- Trade Talk Roundtable Discussions – Offered at specific times throughout the year, Trade Talk Roundtables provide a platform for alumni to lead discussions around trends within their trade/industry. Alumni leaders will also share about their Williamson experience and career path.
- Trade Talks are formatted for small to medium size discussions to include students and other interested alumni.
- Sessions may be held in-person, on-campus or via Zoom or similar online platform.
- Assembly Speakers – Throughout the year, there are opportunities for alumni to present at student assemblies, Chapel service or other school events.
- Assemblies are held in the Chapel for the entire student body and are usually planned around a specific topic. (i.e. “importance of giving back” or the “value of a Williamson education”)
- Chapel speakers have the opportunity to speak at a daily chapel service at the invitation of the school’s Chaplain. Chapel speakers generally focus on Williamson’s Core Values of Faith, Integrity, Diligence, Excellence, Service.
- Alumni/Student Network List – Alumni can make themselves available to students, potential student candidates, and fellow alumni through the Alumni/Student networking list.
Alumni placed on this list are open to assist students or other alumni in giving general career advice, making professional introductions, reviewing resumes, offering opportunities to job shadow or provide informational interviews. Most communications are done via email or phone.
- Strengthen your alumni network connections through interactions with students and fellow alumni mentors.
- Strengthen your engagement with Williamson by experiencing the daily life of the Williamson through interaction with current students.
- Be committed and fully participate in assigned mentoring opportunities by ‘showing-up’ for students and fully engaging.
- Be willing to develop a respectful relationship with the students participating in the programs and be a source of encouragement.
- Be willing to get to know the students on a personal level to make interactions rewarding and beneficial for both the mentor and student.
- Be open to sharing the challenges and doubts you faced while making your 1,000-day journey.
- Be a responsive mentor by responding to student outreach in a timely manner and sharing meaningful resources and connections, as appropriate.
- Be a positive ambassador for the College and its programs.
- Comply with all college policies and codes of conduct as agreed to in the Volunteer Code of Conduct Agreement and the policies and guidelines listed on the Williamson website under Consumer Information.
- Assist the College in continuing to improve the mentor experience by sharing feedback at the end of the academic year through a post-program survey and the end of year wrap up meeting (in personal or virtual).
- There are several opportunities to connect with alumni mentors throughout the year.
- Alumni volunteers who have graduated from Williamson will connect with students to offer practical advice related to maximizing their Williamson education experience, navigating career paths, creating work/life balance and other related topics.
- Alumni/Student meetings may take place virtually via Zoom or similar online platforms or in person.
- Sessions may be focused on a particular topic or skill or may be an open discussion to meet the needs of the participating students.
- Build and utilize your Williamson network both during your time at Williamson and in your professional career.
- Gain valuable information and applicable skills from meaningful interactions with successful alumni working in relevant careers.
- Be committed to fully participate in the sessions/events at which you are attending.
- Be willing to develop a respectful relationship with your alumni mentors participating in the program.
- Be prepared to discuss career and work/life questions and be open to learning from your alumni mentors.
- Be open to sharing your challenges or doubts with your alumni mentors – they too have made the 1,000 day journey at Williamson.
- Assist the College in continuing to improve the student experience by sharing feedback at the end of the academic year through a post-program survey.
Interested students must email Laura Brown, director of alumni relations at email@example.com to register.
If you have questions or would like to learn more about this opportunity, please contact the Director of Alumni Relations Ms. Laura Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the office on 1st Floor Rowan Hall (just past President Round’s Office.)
Tradesmen Connect is a grassroots online community powered by Williamson community members. This online platform offers members to opportunity to connect with each other, grow professional networks, and open doors to new opportunities. Tradesmen Connect is a 100% FREE service POWERED by Williamson alumni participation. Join today.