JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
- Select plant materials, design plant combinations, and coordinate campus planting with Director of Horticulture.
- Layout flowers, trees, shrubs, and turf on campus
- Organize plant material orders
- Keep accurate records
- Lead and direct the work of and train full-time/ part-time employees and students in the correct methods and procedures required to manage horticultural plantings
- In conjunction with immediate supervisor, compile daily work schedules, plan and inspect work related to horticultural plantings
- Inspect plant material for disease, insect, or mechanical damage
- Maintain watering systems, sprayers, etc
- Interpret simple sketches and/or specifications
- Establish sub-grades and finish grades for planting beds and turf
- Plant, water, transplant, prune, fertilize, cultivate, and maintain nursery, greenhouse crops, and campus plantings
- Select, mix, and apply pesticides to nursery, greenhouse crops, and campus plantings as required
- Prepare proper soil mixes
- Move heavy materials such as soil, stone, wood chips, compost, soil mixes, fertilizers, and plant materials as required in nursery and greenhouse operations
- Refer problems to group leaders, foreman, and supervisors
- Operate trucks, tractors, hi-lift, backhoe, skid steer loader, tree spade, mowers, spreaders, and other landscape equipment as required
- Adjust, clean, oil and grease equipment
- Inspect water level, anti-freeze, engine oil, air filters, and air pressure of tires on equipment
- Repair and adjust equipment as required
- Remove snow and ice from walks, roads, parking lots, and shrubbery
- Spread cinders and other anti-skid material on walks, roads, and parking lots
- Remove brush, leaves, grass clippings, paper, spoil, cinders, and rubbish from walks, roads, curbs, parking lots, lawns, and other University property
Job Requirements: Requires the use of shop mathematics together with the use of complicated drawings, specifications, charts, tables, various types of adjustable measuring instruments and the training generally applicable in a particular or specialized occupation. Equivalent to 1 to 3 years applied trades training. Have or able to get a Pennsylvania Certified Applicators License, Category 6 and 7 within the first year. Over 9 months up to and including 12 months of effective experience.
Competitive salary and exceptional benefits.
NOTE: EMPLOYEE MUST BE ABLE TO WEAR A RESPIRATOR AND WILL BE SUBJECT TO MEDICAL CLEARANCE.
NOTE: THIS POSITION REQUIRES THAT YOU OPERATE A MOTOR VEHICLE AS A PART OF YOUR JOB DUTIES. A VALID DRIVER`S LICENSE AND SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF A MOTOR VEHICLE RECORDS CHECK WILL BE REQUIRED IN ADDITION TO STANDARD BACKGROUND CHECKS.
Job classification: Non-exempt
Please send cover letter and resume to (email preferred):
Vice President of Operations
Williamson College of the Trades
106 S. New Middletown Road
Media, PA 19063